The gym is a place where profuse sweating, a little controlled grunting and even mismatched clothing is deemed acceptable. However, it is astonishing how inconsiderate some people can become once they hit the gym for their workout. I would like to think those of you reading this blog are not the guilty ones, but maybe there is going to be something on this list that you do and didn’t even realize how annoying it is to other gym-goers.
All of the gym etiquette in this blog have come from personal experience of being utterly annoyed and/or disgusted during my workouts. Please feel free to add your personal gym-peeves in the comment section of this blog.
Gym Etiquette – 10 Things to Make You Less Annoying
Let me start off by my number 1 gym peeve.
1. Bringing your kids to the gym: While I am sure your children are the cutest little things to ever walk the face of the planet and they are so incredibly well-behaved that you don’t even know what to do with yourself … Not everyone enjoys your children. The gym is a place for adults and not all adults even like kids – nothing personal, just a fact. If you are going to workout, please take your child to the daycare, most gyms have them and if not – find one! No matter how you justify your child being at the gym – it’s inappropriate. And most important – the gym is not safe for children, they can easily get their fingers or toes caught in equipment, get knocked over by some juice head or even have something dropped on them.
2. Being Obnoxiously Loud!: I am sure in you’re every day state you are the life of the party, however, I am trying to workout and really don’t care! The last thing someone that is having a focused workout wants is to hear people being loud over top of their iPod playlist. I (and most others) use my workout as ‘me time’ and spend the time focusing and want to be stress free … If you’re carrying on in the gym and I am constantly looking around to see what the commotion is, if their is a fire, or someone is being beat up - then you’re being annoying!
3. Perfume/Cologne – Ok, let me start by saying I am a HUGE fan of deodorant and not smelling like a dirty gym sock … However, if you are bathing in the perfume, body spay, lotion or cologne to go to the gym it hinders those of us who are seriously working out from breathing. I understand that no one wants to smell bad, but it doesn’t take a gallon of body spray for that to happen.
4. Shorty Shorts – Ok, I get it … You’re in shape, you’ve worked hard on that body and you want to show it off. Cool! But what’s not cool is having so sit on a machine after someone who basically just sit on it bare-bottomed. I am not sure if any of you have watched the show “The Doctors” but they did a study on gym equipment and found that most of it contains large trace amounts of fecal matter – yes, butt juice! So please, no butt juice on the machines!
5. Audio without Headphones: I mean, really? Just because you like working out to the latest DJ Funky Flip Flop doesn’t mean I want to! If for some reasons you are without headphones, then be without music.
6. Social Hour - Ok, I am all for having a low key conversation with you buddy while on the bike/elliptical but if you come to the gym to socialize, rather than workout – You’re annoying. I’ve actually seen girls come to the gym to talk to the guys and never step foot on a machine! First of all you look ridiculous and secondly … well, you look ridiculous. This is all.
7. No Resistance? - Alright, so I am going to start by giving ‘some’ people a free pass on this based off of true ignorance. However, if you’re not new to the workout game or if you’re an athlete you should know better. There is nothing that will make you more annoying than peddling your heart out on a bike/elliptical with no resistance. First of all … If you’re on the elliptical and its loud or you look like your about to fly right off the machine, for Pete sake turn up your level of resistance! It will help you get a better workout and it will keep those of us who are trying to concentrate on our workout from wanting to come over and do it for you.
8. Put Equipment Back – Okay, so this is common sense. Something you learned from the time your were in kindergarten. Once you’re finished with something, put it back. It’s not cool for someone to have to spend 5-10 minutes looking for a piece of equipment that someone didn’t put in its prospective location.
9. Proper Attire - Although I am sure you have an amazing belly button that you are quite proud of, put it away. Just because ‘you’ve got it’ doesn’t mean that you should flaunt it. This goes for guys and girls – wear a shirt and other appropriate clothing items.
10. Wasting Space – Now this is probably going to be the most controversial, because I am sure there are some people who are going to take up for the new gym goers. But if you’re doing exercises that my 3 year old niece can do – you’re wasting space. I am all for setting your own pace and maybe you’re out of shape – that is okay, but if you’re on a weight machine and your exercise is the equivalent of lifting your home remote control, then go home and lift your remote so the rest of us can use the machines! Trust me, I want people to get in shape (hence this blog) but if you’re not going to try – you’re valuable wasting gym space/time for those of us who do want to seriously workout and have a life as well.
So, I am sure we all have a thousand gym pet peeves … What are some of yours? Feel free to add to this list or disagree/agree with my list. I can’t wait to hear some of your gym-peeves!